Giovanni Legrenzi (1626 -1690)
Il Cuor umano all’incanto, 1673. Oratorio a quattro voci con basso continuo
The music for Il Cuor umano all’incanto was composed by Giovanni Legrenzi in all probability during the very early years of the 1670s. At that time, Legrenzi, who had already served as maestro di cappella at the Accademia dello Spirito Santo in Ferrara beginning in 1656, moved to Venice to take over the post of director of the Conservatorio dei Mendicanti. In 1685 he also became the director of the prestigious chapel of St. Mark’s. In these years, he established himself as one of the leading authors of musical oratorios in the Venetian area, collaborating frequently with the local Congregazione dell’Oratorio which met at the church of S. Maria della Consolazione, detta della Fava. Documentation preserved in the archives of the church of S. Maria della Consolazione provides details concerning the titles of the oratorios performed in those years: among those cited, we find for the first time, in 1673, Il Cuor umano all’incanto.